Website Catalyst Solutions, LLC
People - Purpose - Performance
Location: North Charleston, South Carolina
Date of Availability: Jan 3, 2022
Overview: Catalyst Solutions has an opening in support of a fast-paced, high-priority, defense technology program. We are looking for an Embedded Systems (Hardware) Engineer with the requisite hands-on experience and technical capacity to design and implement embedded hardware requirements associated with software defined radios, radio frequency (RF) propagation, microcontrollers, field programmable gate arrays (FPGA), system-on-a-chip (SoC) devices, and a range of embedded processors. This position requires a person who is driven to excel in a hands-on design, integration, and testing environment while collaborating with a team of multi-disciplinary professionals.
Security Clearance Requirement: Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance. The ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance is preferred.
Education Requirements: A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Physical Science is required. A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited program is preferred.
Experience Requirements: The following requirements apply.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience performing hands-on embedded hardware engineering activities such as selecting components, designing printed circuit boards, programming firmware, and interfacing to external hardware.
- A minimum total of six (6) years of experience in a relevant technical field, to include: systems analysis, systems architecture, systems integration, hardware engineering, software engineering, and/or test and evaluation support – preferably for defense-related command, control, communication, computers, cyber, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C5ISR) requirements.
Specific Performance Requirements:
- Design and implement hardware solutions using RISC processors. Integrate software into hardware solutions.
- Interface with external hardware using standard busses and installing/developing drivers in an embedded Linux environment.
- Apply basic Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) concepts such as timing, basic digital design and common FPGA interfaces.
- Apply an understanding of project requirements and hardware engineering to select components (microcontrollers, sensors, power supply circuitry, ports, and supporting circuitry).
- Develop circuit board solutions for design testing.
- Develop printed circuit boards (PCBs) for production with the use of PCB design software.
- Assemble initial PCBs with components for hardware testing (using soldering skills).
- Design and perform hardware tests to verify performance.
- Effectively utilize circuit analysis tools such as multimeters, spectroscopes, and oscilloscopes.
- Perform the technical and engineering functions needed to translate a system operational and/or functional need into a system enhancement through design modification or a new system design.
- Provide requirements analysis and design to support the integration of new hardware.
- Perform market research of new Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to identify solutions for emerging system performance requirements and to recommend for further Government evaluation.
General Performance Requirements:
- Develop and maintain the following systems engineering and requirements analysis documents: requirements traceability matrix, performance specification, and system verification document.
- Integrate systems of systems in accordance with industry standards and best practices for open systems integration, service-oriented architectures, and systems of systems.
- Perform testing and evaluation (T&E) on existing and emergent technologies, solutions, and systems for the Department of Defense (DoD) in support of technology transfer agreements.
- Assist the Government in the development of T&E plans to include identifying the tests to be performed, procedures for T&E execution, and schedule for T&E activities. Perform T&E support in conjunction with Government personnel to ensure developed solutions meet performance threshold requirements.
- Support the development and implementation of Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs) and other Systems Engineering and Technical Review (SETR) events, as required.
- Perform data collection, analysis, and reporting in support of T&E related efforts.
- Assist with System Functionality Testing (SFT) to ensure all components are fully operational and functional.
- Work deliberately and collaboratively with software engineers and cybersecurity specialists as a member of a multi-disciplinary technical team.
- Understand and apply Systems Engineering best practices in accordance with IEEE 15288.2 – Standard for Technical Reviews and Audits on Defense Programs.
- Participate in technical planning and the development of technical documentation.
- Assist with the collection, analysis, transformation, dissemination, visualization and development of engineering related programmatic documentation supporting command decisions and briefings.
- Support architecture management IAW the DoD Architecture Framework (DoDAF) Version 2.02.
- Develop professional technical narratives that accurately convey technical knowledge, ideas, concepts, and understanding for technical or non-technical audiences, as needed. Examples include the development of a Systems Engineering Plan (SEP) or a Test and Evaluation Master Plan (TEMP).
- Review technical content within non-engineering documents such as contracts or program reports. Provide a review summary to the client with recommendations as applicable.
- Be technically proficient and stay relevant in your work and technical domain through continuous learning.
- Be professional, to include but not limited to courtesy, attire, behavior, speech, tone, and attitude.
- Be productive and responsible with information-based work. Identify, review, develop, collect, organize, synthesize, share, report, and maintain information relevant to assigned tasks.
- Deliver quality products and services that exceed the defined acceptable quality levels (AQLs).
- Communicate effectively to include narrative, correspondence, conversation, and presentations.
- Anticipate work requirements and take the initiative to accomplish them.
- Actively identify ways to help others in our client and corporate community (service orientation).
- Strengthen client relationships and confidence by applying best practices for consulting.
- Work cheerfully, collaborate effectively, and be productive as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- As a Catalyst Solutions team member, represent the company in alignment with corporate values and policies, participate in corporate community, and support corporate objectives.
Skills and Abilities:
- Assemble circuit boards with components for hardware testing using soldering skills
- Utilize circuit analysis tools such as multimeters, spectroscopes, and oscilloscopes.
- Critical Thinking: Apply logic and reasoning to assess alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches.
- Problem Solving: Identify problems, collect information, develop/evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Time Management: Manage your own time, the time of others, and the expectations of others.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to read, synthesize, and apply a high volume of information in a short period of time.
- Ability to adapt and learn something new in a rapid, independent manner.
- Ability to listen to and assimilate with client and team needs.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent assignments.
- Ability to learn from constructive feedback in a quality focused environment.
- Ability to manage work/track deadlines.
- Ability to work successfully in both independent and team environments.
- Ability to type/keyboard (40+ words per minute) and take detailed meeting notes.
Tools and Technology:
- Be proficient in the hand-on use of multimeters, spectroscopes, and oscilloscopes.
- Be proficient in the daily use of the following applications and features:
- MS Excel (data tabulation/organization/presentation, pivot tables, charts)
- MS Word (formal narrative documentation)
- MS PowerPoint (slide presentations)
- MS One Note (meeting minutes and note-taking)
- MS SharePoint (content sharing, collaborative workspace)
- MS Teams (communication, virtual meetings, collaborative workspace)
- Ability to rapidly learn and produce work in a new software or web-based tool or application.
Qualifications and Certifications:
- Qualifications pertaining to hands-on design, build, and testing of embedded hardware/software systems are most relevant for this position.
- DAWIA Certifications are an asset, especially in Systems Engineering (SE) and Test and Evaluation (T&E).
- Defense Acquisition University (DAU) courses are an asset, especially in the SE and T&E content.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@catalystsolutions-llc.com